Friday, August 23, 2013

back to school. 2013

Last week was the Ruckus's first official "Back to School" week! And I must say, this school-time transition has been much smoother than I anticipated! Both of the Rollins children did AMAZING! 
.....
Monday was LilliAnn's first day of the Kids for Christ Program (A.K.A. Mother's Day Out) at Immanuel Baptist Church. She carried her lunchbox and backpack like a pro, and skipped down the hallway and into her classroom like she had done it a million times before!
.....
She picked this backpack and lunchbox herself out of the Pottery Barn Kids magazine! I just can't get over how big she looks in these pictures! 
.....
When we got out of the car at "school," she wanted to carry everything in herself.
 .....
.....
She was a little shy once she sat down in her classroom, but by the time I left she was playing with the other little girls and gave me a kiss goodbye. 
.....
Reid went with me to drop her off, and I think it was good for him to see his sissy being such a big girl and not crying when she went to school. I told Reid that since he didn't start school until the next day, that we would have a mommy and Reid day on Monday. After we dropped off LilliAnn, we got some breakfast and then planned a date to the movies to see Turbo. He wanted to take a couple of friends so we decided to take Grayson, Paisley, and Aspyn too! It was a fun-filled afternoon and a great little get together before heading to Back to School night at Grove!
.....
On Tuesday, it was time for Reid to rock Pre-K! He begged me to wear Under Armour and said, "Mommy, please don't make me wear a collar shirt. I just want to feel comfy." I wanted him to feel good on the first day, so I caved and let him wear what he feels best in...athletic gear! We woke up really early and went to Taryn's house to have donuts with Aspyn and Paisley for a "Back to School Breakfast." Reid had a great time and seemed really excited about going to school. When we pulled up to the school, he started to get a little nervous. He got out of the car like a big boy and I walked him in. 
.....
.....
He even smiled for a picture in front of the school!
                                          
.....
We just had to have this royal blue (Grove Wildcat color) Under Armour backpack! 
                       
.....
He was still happy and excited when we got to Mrs. Schooler's classroom door.
                                      
.....
About a minute after I took this picture is when he fell apart. He put his backpack in his cubby and then looked at me and said, "Mommy, I'm scared." He had a look of sheer terror and his face and I didn't want to leave him. I have anxiety and I knew exactly what he was feeling inside. I told him he was going to have a fun, fun day and that there was nothing to be scared of. I told him that if he needed anything at all that the teacher could help him or could call me. As I walked him over to a table to start playing, he started crying even harder. The teacher gave me the "it's time to go" look. I nodded, gave him a hug and told him that I loved him. And walked out. 
                                     
.....
About 30 minutes later I got a call from Mrs. Payne, the Principal, telling me that she had checked on Reid and that he was doing awesome! She said he was smiling and playing with the other children. A few hours later I received a picture via text message from Mrs. Schooler that said, "All smiles!" Since the first day, we've had a few teary mornings, but after he gets in the classroom he's just fine! He told me last night that he "really really likes school," and this morning he was ready to go and was pushing me out the door!
.....
Praising Jesus for answered prayers. All summer long, I fretted and fretted about Reid starting Pre-K. I have prayed numerous nights for a good school experience and for my baby boy to have courage and confidence. I truly expected for the first couple of weeks to be really hard and prayed for strength to get through it. Much to my surprise, this transition has been WAY better than I ever expected. From a kid that would make himself sick every morning before Mother's Day Out, run up the stairs screaming and chasing me, and refusing to ever go to anywhere without me, to a big boy that thinks he wants to try walking in by himself next week...I am one HAPPY, BLESSED mommy! So thankful for a wonderful teacher that has made him feel so loved, comfortable, and safe!
.....
Reid's First Day at Mother's Day Out (2 Years Old) & Reid's First Day of Pre-K (5 Years Old)

No comments:

Post a Comment