Monday, May 1, 2017

Letter to My Birthday Boy: 9 Years Old

…..
My precious Reid-a-Roo,
You have truly transitioned this past year, and year 9 seems to have changed you from a "little boy" to just a "boy." You still have the same sweet spirit, beautiful empathy for others, and desire for achievement, yet you've struggled with perfectionism, competitiveness, and control. The very things that will make you a successful adult, are a burden at times when you're eight. I love your determination and your competitiveness (when you can keep it in check). I love your passion and your fire when you're on the court or the field. There isn't another kid out there that cares as much as you do. You pour your heart into athletics and you always seek justice. Daddy loves being your coach, and although it is a challenge to coach his own son, I know that he cherishes the time he gets to spend with you and the pride he feels when you're giving it your all. 
Everything seems to come easier to you this year…not much has been a challenge, except for the dreaded piano lessons. School comes easy and you make excellent grades. You excel in every subject, but tend to favor math and science. Since putting you on teams with your own grade instead of playing up, you shine on the court and the field and are one of the best. You're an excelling "winner" and can be a good teammate, but losing is something we are currently working on. You don't cope well with failure, so I'm trying to give you the skills you'll need to deal with failure and disappointment in your life. It's hard for a type-A, first-born to deal with things not going their way. In these situations I want you to give it all to God and pray for his guidance as he helps you put things into perspective. Failure makes us better, and it is our trials that give us strength. 
You do not like taking piano lessons, but I am keeping you in them for now. It's a fight to get your to practice, but I have never met anyone who regretted learning to play. You play very well, but dislike the challenge and concentration it takes to learn the piece. You are like you're mama in so many ways, and you tend to want to give up and not do the things that you are not naturally good at. I love that piano uses a part of your brain that no other activity uses, and I love how you have to sit still and concentrate on reading the notes. I don't except you to be a famous pianist, but my goal is that you will develop a love and appreciation for music. 
 …..
…..
LilliAnn and Rush adore you. You and LilliAnn fight like crazy, but you two also love like crazy. You are the best of friends and the worst of enemies. You would do anything for her, but won't hesitate to wrestle with her in the living room floor or take something that she was playing with first. Rush tries to do everything that "bubba" does, and he loves following you and Fisher around the house like a big boy. I want you to always remember that he watches you and looks up to you, so be a good role model and point him towards Christ. You are your daddy's sidekick and I have never seen him worry about someone as much as he worries about you. He is absolutely crazy about you and the two of you have a very special bond. He is so patient with you and does such a good job talking to you and teaching you things. You soak in every word that he says, and you frequently spout off information that "my dad told me…" You had a big hunting moment this year, when daddy took you out in the woods and you shot a bobcat. It was a big deal and your dad was super proud of you. You love the outdoors and any type of adventure, just like your daddy. If the weather permits, you stay outside until dusk every evening after school. You have loved living at our new house and having woods to explore and a pond to fish…and a good street to ride your bike and your Hoverboard. 
…..
Thins that remind me of Reid Jackson:

-baseball, basketball, soccer, football
-Legos
-any game or challenge
-Thunder basketball games and professional sports teams
-wakeboarding
-fishing
-bike riding, Hoverboards, and Rip sticks
-collectable coins
-baseball and basketball cards
-cozy blankets
-popsicles
-lasagna
-plums and apples
-root beer
-salmon, lobster, and crab legs
-potato and tomato soup
-intensity, determination, justice, and competition
-empathy, sincerity, and loyalty
-wolves and lions
-Under Armour, Nike, Hurley, and cozy jeans
-basketball shoes, Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Russell Westbrook, and CP3
-iPad and XBOX One
-drawing
…..
Reid Jackson, you were my first-born, my first love. It doesn't seem that long ago that you snuggled beside me, your entire body fitting on a pillow, waiting for your daddy to come home from the evening shift. You were such a serious baby, all business, never time for purposeless play or entertainment. Today, you are the same way, and I adore your personality. God has a divine and perfect plan for your life and I am excited for you to seek His will. As I tucked you into bed last week, you prayed that special prayer and asked Jesus to come into your heart and be your Lord and Savior. It was one of the best days of my entire life and I praise Jesus for allowing the Holy Spirit to convict your heart. I pray that you be bold in your faith and blaze new paths of courage. I pray that the light of Christ radiates from your soul and reach people with His love wherever you go. Reid, I am very proud of you and I love you so. You are a son of God and a warrior for Christ. Go out into the world and do big things.
..........
 
..........
The Lord is with you mighty warrior. Judges 6:12

All of my love forever and always, 
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment