Sunday, January 10, 2010

One is always crooked...




This is the candle holder that sits on my kitchen table and I was walking past it tonight I thought to myself, "one is always crooked." It seems that no matter how many times a day I straighten the candles, how hard I push them down into the holders, what kinds of candles I use, or how much sticky "keep your candles in place" stuff I use...one is ALWAYS crooked! As I was giving Reid a bath and thinking about this annoying phenomenon I realized that the reason this seemed to bother me so intensely was because this candle holder symbolized my life!

Take the five candles, for example. They could represent many things...my marriage, Reid, the house, work, church, my personal relationship with Christ, the new baby, things on my lengthy to-do list...but no matter what area of my life I tried to stick in place of those five candles, one was ALWAYS crooked! Yes it's the perfectionist, type A personality, "I have to be able to do it all or I'm a failure" characteristics coming out in me, but I REALLY want all those candles to be straight at the same time!

After meditating and pondering over this issue I then understood that this candle holder was a sign from God, meant to remind me that life's not perfect and it's the flaws and imperfections in life that make us strive to do better, give more, focus on the little things of life, and in Jeb's words, "gives it character." I was reminded that one of those candles will ALWAYS be crooked because He is the only one that is perfect and flawless. Christ is the candle holder that so amazingly holds all those candles (marriage, Reid, work, emotions, housework, relationships) together...not me! Don't worry about everday life-whether you have enough food, drink, or clothes. Doesn't life consist of more than food or clothing?...He will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern. Matthew 6:25,33

So I guess the lesson to this odd story is that we are not in control, Christ (or that black candle base that has crooked candle holders) is in control. As this new year begins, I'm going to try and not worry as much about all the "crooked" things in my life as those things are needed in order to teach me lessons and give life "character." I'm going to strive to focus more on my relationship with Christ as serving him should be the top priority in all our lives. As Phillipians 4:13 says, "I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven."

"She has done what she could." Mark 14:8
Just do your best and commit the rest to God!

-- Kell
Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment