Wednesday, July 7, 2010

little joys

.....
In high school one of my friends and I had a "little joys" notebook. I thought about that tonight as I was laying down with Reid and decided that I need to start writing down all the "little joys" in my life - little moments that are just everyday special memories that I can look back on one day. I don't have any idea where that "little joy" notebook from high school went, but now I'm starting a new list of "little joys." I want to periodically post these on my blog even if it's just a brief sentence or two under the heading "little joys."
.....
Reid was laying in bed tonight with Jeb and we were trying to get him to sleep - just like every other night. He usually falls asleep in our bed watching "wow wow wubbzy" or a "Wee Sing" video, or sometimes we'll read a book or sing songs. After he's asleep we put him in his "bed" (a pallet on the floor of the bedroom). After laying in bed tonight for almost an hour Reid still wasn't asleep. I thought he would fall right to sleep because he had only had a short nap today and at 8:45 he had come to me and said, "I wanna go to bed mommy," and "let's go night night." He must have been very tired because this was unusual for Reid. He never wants to go "night night." We finally turned off the TV and I told him a story about a horse he named "horse" and about going fishing and then we started singing songs. At one point he started singing "Happy Birthday to You" and after we would finish singing it he would say, "blow the candles out" and act like he was blowing candles, then he would clap and say, "good job." His language of love is definitely word of affirmation! He loves to hear, "good job Reid" or "what a big boy!" After trying to wash his hair by himself last night he stood up, clapped, and said "good job Reid," and tonight after using the potty he came in the bedroom to tell me about it and said, "high five mommy!" then stuck out his hand. 
.....
The last few nights he's wanted to hold Jeb and I's hands as he's going to sleep. So were were all holding hands and I finally was starting to doze off when Reid scooted really close to me and said, "I love you mommy," and kissed me right on the mouth. Next he started singing the Barney theme song, in my ear really softly in the sweetest little voice..."I love you, you love me, we're a happy family, with a great big kiss (and then he kissed me again)" and I finished the song with him. Such a precious moment that I never want to forget. 
.....
He's just at such a fun age right now - I feel like I'm starting to really get to know him now that he can really talk to me - what he likes and doesn't like, what he wants to do, what he wants to eat. He's always asking me, "Why?" and then he'll answer himself with "acause?" instead of because. As we were getting ready to leave the lake house today he reached up on the counter and got his flip-flops and put them on himself - of course on the wrong feet, grabbed his backpack and wanted me to put it on him, then went and found his hat and said, "I wanna wear this hat mommy." He was just adorable. The cutest little boy ever...thank you, Lord, for giving me Reid.
.....
.....
.....

No comments:

Post a Comment