Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Little Things

I was reading in my "Devotions for Women on the Go" book tonight and today's verse was Luke 19:17..."Well done, my good servant!" his master replied. "Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities."

This devotion on "the small things" really spoke to me tonight. Sometimes I get
discouraged...like I'm just not doing enough as a Christian...and I begin to feel very upset and guilty. This verse and devotion reminded me that I don't have to be preaching to thousands of people or even teaching Sunday School classes to be doing God's work. Yes, all of those things are wonderful and the more people we reach the better, but it's important to remember that we can minister and share God's love every day in the small things we do...whether it be in reading a bible story to our children or being a Christian role model for them, volunteering our time to help those in need in our community, or even if it's praying daily and focusing on our own relationship with Christ. I realized that I shouldn't feel guilty just because I'm not leading the choir...although He wants us to do all that we can to further His kingdom...and I know I can do more!

I wanted to share this amazing poem that was in the book as well.

"A Little Place"
Where shall I work today, dear Lord?
And my love flowed warm and free.
He answered and said, "See that little place? Tend that place for Me."
I answered and I said, "Oh no, not there,
No one would ever see
No matter how well my work was done,
Not that little place for me!"
His voice when he spoke was soft and kind,
He answered me tenderly,
"Little one, search that heart of thine,
Are you working for them or me?"

"Nazareth was a little place,
And so was Galilee."

Where is that "little place" that you need to work for the Lord? Is it your home? Your church? A patient/co-worker/employee at work? Your child? That homeless person you passed on the street? Is it your own heart?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment