Saturday, March 17, 2012

March Madness?!

March Madness? Yep, that pretty much sums up the way March has been so far. Someone was talking about basketball today and mentioned March Madness, and I thought. Hmmmm...that is exactly it...March. Madness! Since having two April babies, March will probably continue to be "madness" for our family for a very long time.  Here's why. When the month of March hits I get panicky - LilliAnn's birthday is April 6, Reid's is April 25 - I've got to get into birthday party mode - there's what the kids are going to wear, ordering outfits, party accessories, etc., then there's invitations, and pictures. Also, the beginning of March means that Easter is just around the corner...Easter AND two birthdays?! That more clothes, more ordering, more matching, more pictures, Easter baskets, planning Easter egg hunts and egg dying. And it's the beginning of Spring so I'm stressing about the flowerbeds, getting the garage cleaned out, and the closets organized - thanks to my crazy OCD that I battle EVERY day! Not to mention that March is usually the peak of Flu season. Reid has been running fever for three days and today it spiked to 104. The poor little guy is so sick! He told me yesterday morning, "Mommy, I'm sorry." "Why, Reid? I answered. "No, I'm just so sad at myself that I'm sick and can't go to school." He has just starting liking school (Mother's Day Out) the past two weeks and was crying to go yesterday morning. I started teaching in the OU Nurse Practitioner program this semester as adjunct faculty. I absolutely LOVE it, but it is much harder working from home than I thought it was going to be. I usually go up to class once every two weeks and then have some grading to do during the week. This usually works out fine, but the students' SOAP notes were due last week, which means lots of 15-20 page papers for me to grade. With out super busy schedule of Kindermusik, dance, swimming lessons, and then Reid getting sick, I've been staying up until 3 am the past week trying to get some grading done - which makes for one tired mama!

As I've prayed about the chaos that is clouding up my mind and home, I realize that none of this is important. None of this is even necessary. Yes, I LOVE cute birthday invitations, themed parties, and matching Eater clothes, but is it really a big deal if the kids don't have monogrammed Easter baskets?! In 20 years my children will not remember their 2nd and 4th birthday parties, nor will they remember what they were wearing. They will, however, always remember that I was there for them, played with them, prayed for them, cuddled them, loved them, supported them, comforted them, "held them tight," and was always in the moment. This is what I'm trying to strive for and keep in perspective as I march through March. I want to soak up every special moment of their childhood and teach them how to show Jesus's love in all that they do. In the midst of disarray, when my mind feels a clutter, I will look to Him for direction, peace, and focus.

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken. Psalm 62:12

No comments:

Post a Comment