Monday, November 12, 2012

Soccer Star!

This fall was Reid's first season of soccer. We played with the YMCA 3 & 4 year old league and it could not have been more fun! Our friends, Josh & Kendall Rogers, coached the team and so Reid knew several of his teammates. Extracurricular activities are always more fun when you know some of the parents, right? Jeb, nor I, knew anything about soccer, but thankfully Josh & Kendall did! I was so impressed at how well they coached our little team. I thought no one would be able to teach 3 & 4 year olds to kick the ball in the right direction, not to mention getting them to control the ball and pass it to other players. But by the end of the season, our team was doing all of the above...and doing it well! I think we won every game except one (but we're not supposed to be keeping score, you know). 
.....
Reid REALLY surprised me! Well, I really shouldn't say surprised because I've always know he was athletic since he was making the ball in the Fisher Price basketball goal at 9 months old, and hitting a baseball when it was thrown to him at age 2. I just never thought about him being good at soccer because I'm not familiar with that sport. After the first practice, he was in love. Soccer was high energy, challenging, and competitive. Just. like. Reid.
.....
 In his very first soccer game ever, Reid scored 7 goals. I was so excited!! I was thinking in my head, "great...I'm going to be that mom because I'm really getting into this!" He was so good at controlling the ball, stopping the ball, turning the ball, and kicking the ball into the goal. And we hadn't even worked with him on soccer skills. 
.....
.....
.....
 He would get so proud of himself. Every time he would make a goal he would look at us and give us a thumbs up with a huge grin on his face.
.....
.....
He loves scoring. Can you tell?!
.....
 This age isn't supposed to keep score, but if you know Reid you know that he's going to be keeping score in his head. After the first game, Kendall told me that Reid kept telling her if they were winning or not and checking the score with her. But to Reid, they never lost a game. When my dad asked him the score of the game (the one that they probably really lost) he said, "It was a tied up game." It's always either that he won, or it was a "tied up game." 
.....
Sissy enjoyed bubba's soccer games too! She really liked eating the snacks and running around outside. 
.....
.....
He told us that he likes his soccer shirt to be tucked in "so the other team doesn't grab it." 
.....
.....
.....
.....
.....
 Reid always had lots of fans at the games! Gam-Ma Missy, Papa Jeff, Nana Karen, Papa Kelbo, Mimi, Papa Glenn, Granny Carol, & Pop Buzz all came to watch him play this season.
.....
.....
 #7 is Reid's friend Carson. He is also very good at soccer. Reid and Carson are both really competitive and little "ball hogs," so were tried to teach them to work together and learn to pass the ball to work for the good of the team. By the last game, they were discussing this all by themselves and were even planning out who was going to score next. We were so proud of them!
.....
.....
.....
.....
.....
 What a great season! 
.....
 I see many more soccer seasons in our feature! Guess I better brush up on my soccer skills :)
..... 
Reid Rollins & Carson Rogers - 4 years old

No comments:

Post a Comment