Thursday, May 29, 2014

last day. 2014

The kids had their last days of school a couple of weeks ago. It was so bittersweet…I was beaming with pride as I watched my babies get their "graduation" certificates, but there was an ache in my heart as I realized that they were both now "big kids"…no longer babies…no longer toddlers…big kids. Being so busy adjusting to three children and running chaotically to all of our activities, I really hadn't had time to think about Reid's last day of Pre-K or be sad about it... so the big alligator tears that I tried desperately to hold back during his program were very unexpected! The pre-k end of the year program started with a slideshow of pictures throughout the year. Of course it was set to music including "Let Them Be Little" and a few other tear jerkers. As I looked down at Reid and thought about how quickly it has gone by, then looked at the other mothers…my friends…I realized we were all in this together…all mamas trying to embrace the fact that our babies have reached yet another "growing up" milestone. The kids sang a couple of cute songs with adorable little motions and dance moves (Reid wasn't too much into the dance moves!), then received their Pre-Kindergarten completion certificates! 
…..
…..
This is Reid with his teacher, Mrs. Schooler. I am so thankful for this wonderful, amazing woman! She helped to make Reid's first education experience such a positive one, and I am forever grateful that she loved and took care of our Reid. She understood the type of child he was right from the beginning, and really brought out the best in him. At the second parent-teacher conference she told us that with Reid, specifically, they were working on it being ok to make mistakes. I knew at that moment that she really "got him" and wanted to help him make the most of his type-A, perfectionist personality. She wrote to me in a thank you note that Reid was such a kind and helpful child, and that she could always count on Reid to do the right thing. That will make a mama's heart very happy! 
…..
This is the note that Mrs. Schooler wrote to Reid in his Dr. Seuss book, Oh The Places You'll Go…
…..
…..
 He wasn't in the mood for pictures at this point...
…..
 Last Day of Pre-K - 6 Years Old and two missing teeth! 
…..
 The bruise on his cheek is from him getting hit accidentally with a baseball bat at practice a few days before this picture. 
…..
…..
…..
 LilliAnn's last day of Mother's Day Out was the next day. She was so excited to sing her songs, but I was so nervous that she wouldn't do them! She has a tendency to be shy and stubborn when she's in front of people that she doesn't know. Much to my surprise, she did all three songs perfectly and with so much enthusiasm! I was so proud of her!
…..
…..
I still haven't decided if I'm going to start this little munchkin in Pre-K next year. I really don't want her and Reid to be just one grade apart, and I always told myself that if I waited to start Reid, then I would hold her as well. I would much rather spread them out a little…not sure this mama could handle them graduating high school back to back! Now the time has come to figure it all out and I just CANNOT decide! My heart tells me to let her go to MDO one more year and start her in Pre-K the next year, but because several of her friends from he class are starting Pre-K at Grove, I feel like I should start her. All three of her girlfriends at MDO have April birthdays too and they are all starting. I know that girls usually do okay even if they are younger and I really want her to have a good core group of friends with parents that I know. We know so many people starting Pre-K this fall, but I don't know anyone that will be the next grade younger. LilliAnn is very intelligent and I know she will excel academically no matter what, however, she is still very shy in front of people she doesn't know and it takes her a while to get warmed up and bust out into her silly, vivacious personality! I'm not  sure if giving her one more year would make her more outgoing in public, or if this is her personality and it wouldn't make a difference. I really want her to shine and stand out and I sort of feel as if this is more likely to happen if I hold her back…but I also want her to have friend in her class…oh my…decisions, decisions…I'm going to keep praying about it and maybe I'll have a peace about a decision come August.
…..
She called this her "graduation costume." 
…..
When her class went up on stage to sing, Reid said, "She's gonna do it good, mom. I know it!"
…..
Last Day of Mother's Day Out - 4 Years Old
…..
…..
…..
She's a mess and she knows how to push my buttons, but I will always cherish her. A daughter is a precious gift never to be taken for granted. LilliAnn will forever be my number 1 girl!
…..
…..
She has my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment