Wednesday, October 22, 2014

first food.

Last month (just a couple of days shy of being 6 months old), Rush had his first experience with something to eat other than breast milk! I started both of the other kids on solids at around 5 1/2 months, but decided to wait just a little bit longer before starting Rush. After much research, I learned that their is really no benefit to rice cereal (especially white rice cereal!), as it turns straight to sugar and has little nutritional value. I want to try to avoid most grains for as long as possible with Rushton, however, a few of his organic baby foods have a little bit of quinoa and millet, and occasionally some brown rice mixed in them. I'm trying to feed him organic whole foods that are nutritionally loaded, but since fresh organic foods aren't always a possibility with a busy schedule and a limited supply in Shawnee, we've settled for doing the organic packets of baby food a lot of the time. I really didn't want to spend the time making my own baby food unless I could get all organic, and with our schedule, I knew I wouldn't be able to get to the city often enough to make that possible. So for now, we're doing the organic baby food packets and organic fruits and veggies that I can get around here. Papa Kelbo doesn't understand our plan very well, because this week he's given Rush mashed potatoes and gravy, ice cream, and a chocolate chip cookie! I guess that's what grandparents are good for! 
…..
We were spending the Saturday at my mom's house and Rush was acting REALLY hungry that few days prior to this. He was sitting up unassisted and had even started pulling up! He was a few days shy of six months old, and I knew it was time for solids! I went to the health food store here in town, purchased a few organic avocados and sweet potatoes, and went back to my mom's to get them ready for baby Rush! 
…..
Checking out the sippy cup! He LOVES his sippy cups! He's been drinking out of a straw since he was 5 months old, and can drink from a sippy cup like a champ!
…..
…..
We started the first week with avocado. And of course, big sister wanted to give him the first bite. 
…..
"Hmmmm…this is interesting."
…..
"Very different."
…..
"I'll try some more, please."
…..
"I think I like chewing on this spoon thing."
…..
"Give me that! I'll just do it myself!"
…..
…..
…..
…..
He decided he likes it! 
…..
And then we gagged a little. It's tough going from breast milk to avocado! 
…..
Thinking it all over...
…..
"Hey…I think I like this whole food thing!"
….. 
…..
He ate half of an avocado in the first sitting and was so proud of himself! 
…..
Ready for more! I LOVE this face! 
…..
Mommy is so silly! 
…..
We are so blessed to have such a happy baby! 
…..
…..
Sweet boy could not stop smiling after that yummy avocado!
…..
…..
So we gave him more! 
…..
And he made the typical baby food mess…and it was ADORABLE!
…..
…..
"Give me more bites!"
…..
Getting sleepy...
….. 
Thinking a drink of breast milk sounds pretty good right about now...
…..
We got him all cleaned up, and then he had a celebratory moment with his sissy! 
…..
Yay for avocados and yay for big boys (but growing up sure is bittersweet for mamas)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment