Friday, April 26, 2013

Letter to My Birthday Boy: 5 Years Old

.....
Reid Jackson,
It doesn't seem like it has been five years since I could hold you like this...your entire body in both of my hands and your little feet close to my face. I was in love from the moment I saw your face on my first ultrasound. My baby boy...your daddy was overjoyed that he would be having a first-born son, and I daydreamed of mud pies, dirty clothes, sticky frogs, and t-ball games. But you are much more than I could have ever dreamed of in a little boy. Your strong-willed personality and analytical mind have challenged me more than any college test, and your sensitive heart and kind spirit has touched my soul more than the sappiest of love stories. The older you get, the more I see myself in your big, brown eyes. You are a perfectionist. You worry too much. And you are a people pleaser. At times I feel like your type-A personality keeps you from being the carefree child that I want you to be, but you are your mother's child and you are a very happy child nonetheless. I know that these qualities are sure to mean success in your future. And, Reid, it's ok to have some fun along the way! 
.....
You love a challenge, puzzles, and a sense of accomplishment. I love hearing you belly laugh at your sister or your "Yesssssss" when you make a dunk while practicing your shots in the garage. I love that you excel at sports and that you are a go-getter. Some of my favorite moments are watching you and your daddy play catch in the backyard. I love how when you write your name you make sure that your "R" is just perfect. I love your new little sayings, "I'm alright," or "It's ok, mom." I love listening to your say your bedtime prayers and hearing you thank God for giving us Jesus. 
.....
1st Birthday - Reid the Rockstar
.....
2nd Birthday - Reid goes Retro
.....
3rd Birthday - Reid the Rookie
.....
4th Birthday - Reid loves Rumble
 .....
Taken the day before we found out that sissy was on the way! 
 .....
My FAVORITE picture of you! 
.....
You're five. And although it makes me sad that you are half a decade old...no more bottles, no more diapers, no more toddling, no more lullabies...you will ALWAYS, ALWAYS be my baby boy. I will always hug you, hold you, kiss you, and I will always have your back. I don't want you to grow up, but I know that if you stayed a baby, I would never get to see the person you were meant to be. I would never have heard the precious words, "I love you mommy," or "Mommy, you're my favorite." I would have never gotten to see you hit a double in your first t-ball game, or catch your very first perch. If you stayed little forever, I wouldn't have the joy of watching you grow up and you wouldn't have the confidence and pride that comes with achieving all of those milestones and accomplishments. So...I am excited for you to grow up. I am excited for the next stage of your life and for all of the great things that you will do. I am excited to watch you start school, play more sports, win awards, and take more trips. I love you Reid Jackson Rollins, and I am so thankful that God gave me you. I can't wait for more adventures with you! 
Last night before you fell asleep, you laid your head on my shoulder and said, "Mommy, I had such a good day today on my birthday." I cried. Because that is what I want for you...good days. Although we must have the bad days to help us learn, grow, appreciate the good days, and realize our need for a Savior, I pray that you have mostly good days. And I pray that you always look to Jesus...no matter what kind of day it is. 
-Mommy
.....
Face painting at Disney World was one of his favorite things
.....
Breakfast at Tuskerhouse with Mickey Mouse for Reid's 5th Birthday trip to Walt Disney World
.....
.....
A Bit About Reid at age 5
  • loves shrimp cocktail and crab legs
  • loves shooting baskets in the garage and trying to jump up high and dunk
  • baseball. baseball. baseball.
  • working puzzles
  • Spider-Man
  • spaghetti & steak
  • watching Good Luck Charlie on the Disney Channel & Duck Dynasty
  • Simba and The Lion King
  • dressing up like Spider-Man, Captain America, a police officer, or a pirate
  • working in the "workbook," especially when it's math!
  • popsicles & sno-cones (like his mama!)
  • anything Under Armour
  • collecting basketball sneakers (he has 4 pair of K.D.'s and 3 pair of Jordan's!)
  • his baseball necklaces
  • catching grasshoppers
  • Captain Jack Sparrow
  • fishing
  • Cheez-Its
  • temporary tattoos
  • driving the Gator
  • working with Papa
  • playing with Jett & Grayson
  • addition and subtraction
  • playing his iPad (especially NBA 2K13 and the 50 States learning game)
  • riding his bike (with no training wheels since he turned 4!)
.....

.....
This is my prayer for you...that you be strong...that you be brave...that you be different...that you be kind...but most of all, that you be a follower of Christ. 
.....
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Romans 12:2 
.....
.....
To view my last year's letter to Reid, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment